Rogue One Worth a Watch

By Chloe Kauffman ’18

I love Darth Vader.

Thus, when I heard about “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” being set in the time of his rise to power, I just about lost it. I prayed for the return of Hayden Christiansen, but alas, did not get my wish. Mostly because Darth Vader has about two minutes of total screen time, but I’m not too mad.

For any of you who are looking for a Darth Vader-centric movie, you will be severely disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I knew the movie was not based around him in the slightest, but it was about the creation of the infamous Death Star. The two of them basically go hand-in-hand.

Putting the disappointing lack of Darth Vader aside, the movie, overall, is not half-bad. It is actually pretty decent – once you get past the first hour.

Take this as you may, but I thought the first hour of the movie was horribly boring. It was a bunch of random, hurried character introductions with a few deaths and plot points sprinkled throughout. It’s not my cup of tea.

However, my favorite Star Wars movies are Episodes II and III…so you may be wondering how the heck I found Rogue One boring, considering that my favorite Star Wars movies are universally known for their cringe-worthy acting and excessive monotony.

The entire first hour felt very disconnected to me. One moment you see people fleeing from who you assume are the bad guys, but suddenly, one of the good guys is a bad guy, and then Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) is captured. She is told she is being helped, but she has a target on her back in the realm of the good guys, and betrayal toys with the thoughts of many characters.

To be honest, the movie felt so jumbled and hard to follow (which is crazy for me to say, as I can proudly declare an ample knowledge of the Star Wars universe), and until a major turning point in the movie occurred (for spoiler purposes, I’ll leave it to one general word: death), the movie drug on. I found myself checking my phone underneath my coat so I could gauge how much time the movie had left.

While I am criticizing the first half of the movie, I do a complete 180 in terms of my opinion for the last half of Rogue One. I found the last hour of the movie absolutely spectacular, albeit slightly predictable.

Essentially, the last hour-or-so is a montage of fighting and inevitable death. However, the emotions of the characters (good and bad) are well portrayed by the actors and well supplemented by the setting and music, and the ending of the movie is just pure beauty. It’s unbelievably heart-wrenching, but it’s beautiful. I will say no more on that topic.

Now, I know a lot of people loved the movie. My parents are both huge Star Wars fans (having grown up with it), and while my dad had the same opinion I did, my mom (the family movie connoisseur), absolutely loved it. Like I said, it’s a different type of movie for different people.

Overall, I’d give Rogue One a watch, especially if you are a Star Wars fan. The DVD will hit stores on April 4. However, it’s not something you need to rush into theaters to see. If you want to choose a Star Wars film to watch, I would pick most of the others over Rogue One, but it is still a well-made supplement to the series.